By Betty Murray
Toxins can enter your body through the environment, clothes you wear and foods you eat. Genetically modified foods contain toxins and pesticides that can contribute to weight gain and make you sick.
While the body is designed to eliminate toxins through the liver, when the amount of toxins entering the body become more than the liver can handle, the body creates fat cells to wrap around the toxins. If you are struggling to lose weight, chances are, your body is holding onto fat that is surrounding toxins. To lose that fat, you must first eliminate those toxins from your body.
Understanding the source of toxins
GMOs are foods that are genetically modified to withstand large amounts of pesticides or to pumped full of hormones. That means that when you eat foods containing GMOs, you are taking in multiple toxins that can be harmful to your health. Other toxins come from processed foods, unfiltered water and air pollution. They can also come from household chemicals, cosmetics and a variety of other sources. Toxins enter the body through trans-fatty acids, chemical additives, prescription drugs, alcohol, cigarette smoke and gasoline.
Cleanse your body of toxins
In my book, Cleanse, I’ll give you an easy, step-by-step guide to detoxing your body, mind, spirit, home and even relationships. Cleanse explains exactly what to eat and why and provides sample meal plans with an extensive collection of easy to prepare recipes. Watch unwanted pounds melt away, nagging health problems disappear and a happy, healthier new you emerge.
There are four steps to cleansing your body of toxins:
• Begin healthy eating habits, and eliminate junk foods, fast foods and processed foods.
• Use a body cleanse to clean the existing toxins from your body.
• Detoxify to neutralize toxins and poisons in the body.
• Rebuild the body’s immune system by consuming pure, healthy foods, free of trans fats and pesticides.
For a gentle, micro cleanse, incorporate these nutrients foods into your diet:
• Pectin — Pectin comes from the fibrous portion of fruit and is commonly found in limes, lemons and other citrus fruits. It is also found in apples, bananas, grapes, carrots and cabbage. Pectin helps the body release heavy metals, chemicals and other toxins. By eating fruit containing pectin, or adding pectin to a glass of water, you can begin to cleanse your body of dangerous toxins.
• Cilantro — The herb cilantro naturally detoxifies the body of mercury, heavy metals and other toxins. Cilantro can be consumed in herb form, or in juice form. In addition to its detoxifying properties, cilantro contains natural antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
• Wheatgrass — Wheatgrass is a powerful detoxifying agent. Add wheatgrass into your fresh produce juice in small amounts. Start with just one-half ounce a day of wheatgrass and work up from there.
The only way to rid your body of harmful toxins is through a cleanse. Before you begin your cleanse, it’s important that you understand what to expect and possible symptoms you may encounter along the way. In my book, I will walk you through a full body cleans from start to finish.
Betty Murray, CN, HHC, RYT is a Certified Nutritionist & Holistic Health Counselor, founder of the Dallas-based integrative medical center, Wellness and founder of the Metabolic Blueprint wellness program. Betty’s nutrition counseling practice specializes in metabolic and digestive disorders and weight loss resistance. A master of the biochemistry of the body, Betty teaches her clients how to utilize nutritional interventions to improve their health. Betty is a member of the Institute of Functional Medicine and the National Association of Nutrition Professionals.